The New York round of the Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show is like none other. From the starting gun on Friday at noon till closing at 5PM on Sunday, it was packed ankle to armpit with enthusiasts giving their appreciation to the 50 custom sleds on display.
In year’s past FreeStyle and Performance Custom class machines dominated the show. This year Retro MOD had the largest participation with guys and gals building to this specification: “Any modified bike, with any drive train on any chassis configuration that is 25 years or older. Great class for older Harley’s where the frame was cut to rake or stretch as well as a class for Café Racers from the Ton-Up era.”
Ultimate Builder FreeStyle Class
George Stinsman of Chaos Cycle made the debut of the Long Bike and took the win at the 2013 edition of the Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show in NY. It features an ‘80s era Shovel, Sugar Bear front end and split rocker boxes. It’s a super sized 11.5 feet long.
1. George Stinsman, Chaos Cycle – The Long Bike, Custom Chopper
2. Nick Genender, NYC Choppers – Speedster, Custom Chopper
3. Jesse Bassett, The GasBox – 741 Indian, 1940 Military Scout
Ultimate Builder MOD Harley Class
Chris Callen of Cycle Source Magazine got on the horn with Jason Grimes of Northeast Chop Shop to introduce him to the Ultimate Builder. Results? First and third in MOD Harley class. Jason’s winning sled, the Damascus Bike, is built with hand-hammered Damascus steel. The bike is accented with textured copper. Dave Steeves of GDL Paint provided the paint.
1. Jason Grimes, NE Chop Shop – Damascus Bike
2. Eric Schroeder, Tribal Iron Choppers – Café Grinds, ’94 Sportster
3. Jason Grimes, NE Chop Shop – 13 ½, ’84 Sportster
Ultimate Builder Performance Custom Class
Roman Levin got bored and built the FOH Street Racer. It features a custom frame, swing arm and metal fabrication. Roman painted the bike is his garage. When not working on bikes, he is a paint and body man on 356 Porches.
1. Roman Levin, FOH Cycles – FOH Street Racer, ‘79 GS 750
2. TT Cycles – 1970 Triumph Drag Bike
3. Mike Davis, Speedworx – Saluda, 2006 Honda CBR
Ultimate Builder RETRO MOD Class
Justin Reid of Longwood Customs brought his ’66 custom Triumph Bonneville that features a bolt-on hardtail, rebuilt engine, 6 inch stretch and lowered front and rear. The paint that was applied by Reid and Eddie Piers really made this bike standout.
1. Justin Reid, Longwood Customs – 66 Bonnie, ’66 Triumph
2. Will Ramsey – Dead at 19, 1981 HD FXW
3. Fred Montano, East Coast Super Bikes – Spitshine, ’60 Panhead
Ultimate Builder MOD Street Class
Evan Favaro of Speakeasy Motors took the win in MOD Street with Butler 650. A 1978 Yamaha XS650. It features a fully rebuilt engine, custom front end, custom tail section, hand fabricated sheet metal parts, café gas tank, Suzuki front end on a Yamaha frame.
1. Evan Favaro, Speakeasy Motors – Butler 650, ’78 XS650
2. Mark Tempesta, Break Lite Motorsports – Ultimate RR, ’96 CBR 900RR
3. Damian Collins – Aztec, ’02 R1
Mike Davis of Speed Worx won the People’s Choice Award. Will Ramsey won the Show Dog Award sponsored by Rocking K Custom Leather for his promotion at the show.
The Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show is produced by www.bikerpros.com. At each round of the competition Biker Pros photographs each bike and makes them available in their Flickr gallery at www.flickr.com/photos/bikerpros.
We are awarding $100,000 in cash and prizes over our 13 event series. The big money winners to date are:
- GIO – $6,500
- Kyle Shorey – $5,000
- Bruce Bolden – $3,000